Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Tuesday, November 6, 2018

Trusting for Tomorrow



Boast not thyself of tomorrow;
for thou knowest not what a day may bring forth.
(Proverbs 27:1)

Whereas ye know not what shall be on the morrow.
For what is your life? It is even a vapour,
that appeareth for a little time, and then vanisheth away.
(James 4:14)

I filled out the questionnaire. Short term goals. Long term goals. It was a fresh reminder that we have no idea what tomorrow will bring.

Life is fleeting.

We might seem healthy one day and learn we have an awful disease the next. We could lose a loved one. Accidents happen. People get killed. We never know when we get into the car if we'll arrive at our destination. There are fires and all kinds of possible dangers. And, a happier thought: we might go to meet the Lord in the Rapture, without dying. (That would suit me just fine.) Then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord. Wherefore comfort one another with these words (1 Thessalonians 4:17-18).

Whatever tomorrow brings, as Christians, we need to trust God. This subject reminds me of the song by LeAnn Rimes, "I Know Who Holds Tomorrow." Some of it goes like this:

"I don't know about tomorrow,
I just live from day to day….

There are things about tomorrow
That I don't seem to understand
But I know who holds tomorrow
And I know who holds my hand."

Her song is about Jesus. Knowing Him and trusting Him make all the difference.

It's so easy to become stressed and anxious, but the Lord knows all about it already. He sees the future as if it were today—and He's already there. I have to remind myself often, Be careful (full of care, anxious) for nothing; but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God. And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus (Philippians 4:6-7).

Here are some more of my favorite verses about trusting in the Lord:
  • The God of my rock; in him will I trust: he is my shield, and the horn of my salvation, my high tower, and my refuge, my saviour; thou savest me from violence (2 Samuel 22:3).
  • But let all those that put their trust in thee rejoice: let them ever shout for joy, because thou defendest them: let them also that love thy name be joyful in thee (Psalm 5:11).
  • What time I am afraid, I will trust in thee (Psalm 56:3).
  • Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path (Psalm 119:105).
  • Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths (Proverbs 3:5-6).

Knowing Jesus, we can have peace in any situation by putting it into His capable hands. Casting all your care upon him; for he careth for you (1 Peter 5:7).

What's going to happen tomorrow? We don't know.

But God does, and we can trust Him.

How excellent is thy lovingkindness, O God!
therefore the children of men put their trust
under the shadow of thy wings.
(Psalm 36:7)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share your thoughts.