Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Wednesday, November 28, 2018

Everything Will Kill You!


Vaccines, GMO foods, dyes, additives, FDA approved and not, sweeteners, agricultural sprays, plastic water bottles, farmed fish, vegetable oils…. I even read that chicken's the very worst meat. It will kill you!*

Back in the day, the main culprits were tobacco and alcohol. Now, it's your soda. The sugar will do you in. You switch to diet drinks and find out they're even worse! In the United Kingdom, they're seriously considering demanding identification for buying energy drinks.

Don't cook in aluminum pans. It rubs off and gives you Alzheimer's. And the list goes on. Everything will kill you!

Did you know there's arsenic in apple seeds? (It will take about 200 to kill you, but who eats the seeds, anyhow?) We won't even start on Romaine lettuce.

I sometimes wonder what to believe. The prohibitions seem to go in a giant cycle that changes completely every 25 years and slightly every five. You're told to ban fats, carbs, and sugar. Then, the culprit is gluten. Seriously, after a while you wonder if you can eat anything at all.

My friends raise their own chickens for eggs and eating. A guy with whom I went to college has won awards for his contributions to organic farming. Several of my friends live on organic farms and sell their produce. My in-laws usually buy veggies from Amish and Mennonite farms.

All this sounds great to me. I think food tastes better as natural as possible. I am also for nutritionally balanced eating and no extremes (unless you have a health issue, which is a totally different subject all together).

But, I believe we've gotten a lot wrong as we're fearful about what we put into our bodies. Don't get me wrong. We should be careful. We should try to take care of our bodies. This is Scriptural** and good. But, many Christians put most of their time and energy caring for their bodies. I know people who've lost mega weight, and they're right to be proud of their before and after photos. Others have gotten healthier and fitter. I'm sincerely glad for them.

At the same time, it seems our bodies, stomachs, and looking beautiful have replaced our desire to be healthy spiritually. Jesus said, Not that which goeth into the mouth defileth a man; but that which cometh out of the mouth, this defileth a man. And Jesus said (to His disciples), Are ye also yet without understanding? Do not ye yet understand, that whatsoever entereth in at the mouth goeth into the belly, and is cast out into the draught? But those things which proceed out of the mouth come forth from the heart; and they defile the man. For out of the heart proceed evil thoughts, murders, adulteries, fornications, thefts, false witness, blasphemies: These are the things which defile a man: but to eat with unwashen hands defileth not a man (Matthew 15:11, 16-20).

In my experience as a pastor's wife and counselor, the biggest problem faced by women isn't what they eat. It's their hearts.

What's going into your heart?
  • I have set the LORD always before me: because he is at my right hand, I shall not be moved. Therefore my heart is glad, and my glory rejoiceth: my flesh also shall rest in hope (Psalm 16:8-9).
  • The statutes of the LORD are right, rejoicing the heart: the commandment of the LORD is pure, enlightening the eyes. Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer (Psalm 19:8, 14).
  • Trust in him at all times; ye people, pour out your heart before him: God is a refuge for us. Selah (Psalm 62:8).
  • With my whole heart have I sought thee: O let me not wander from thy commandments. Thy word have I hid in mine heart, that I might not sin against thee (Psalm 119:10-11).

Are you dining on God's Word?

Are your entertainment and leisure choices pleasing to the Lord?

Do you trust in God and pour out your heart*** to Him in prayer?

Do you seek Him with your whole heart and review His Word during the day?

If so, what comes out of your heart will be beautiful.

Let's seek moderation in other areas of our lives (including food) and find our delight in the Lord! God bless you today!

____________

* Please understand. My point is that "they" (whoever "they" are) say all kinds of things will kill you. Have I stopped eating chicken or other things I listed? No. If I believed all the warnings, I'd never eat at all. I make an effort to be healthy but not extreme. There are many businesses that capitalize on food and health fads. They, too, will probably pass in popularity with time.
** 1 Corinthians 3:16-17; 6:19-20
*** Psalm 62:8; Lamentations 2:19

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share your thoughts.