Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Thursday, November 1, 2018

Planning My Party



I was planning a party for thirty friends,* and I sent out cute invitations, reflecting a Mexican theme. In a few days, the RSVPs came back. This is what they said:
  • Just so you know, I'm vegan.
  • I'm gluten free. I hope there will be something there for me.
  • I would love to come, but I don't eat any dairy or animal products.
  • Ahead of the party, just so you understand, I don't eat sugar in any form.
  • I can't have fish or seafood. I am extremely allergic.
  • I'm on the Newest Diet. Sorry, I can't come.
  • My family is vegetarian, but we eat dairy.
... And more. As I stood at my kitchen island reading the tenth such note, I shook my head. Then, I cried.
  • The cake I had planned is out—eggs, gluten, milk, and sugar.
  • The Mexican theme I'd planned is out—flour tacos, meat, cheese….
  • Hmmm … I could make a big salad with black beans—or a salad bar and be careful about dressings. For dessert: a mélange of natural fruits, no sugar added. Okay, my party is still on! No sodas, and I'll serve a variety of healthy drinks, sweetened—and not.
  • I'll label everything with cactus-style calligraphy.

The party day came, and so did my friends. Everyone ate and had fun. I was glad I'd been careful and labeled every drink. I was especially thankful I'd been forewarned. Games and laughter made me happy I had persevered. My decorations were bright Mexican blankets, embroidered shawls, pottery, and sombreros.
____________________

If you have a real issue with any foods (an allergy or illness), you do well to advise your host. As in my made-up party scenario, hosts are thankful to know about your needs ahead of the event so they can plan. I am very grateful for the guests we've entertained in our home who have done this for me.

One issue, though, is non-threatening foods and mere preferences. Do you need to be picky? Do you need to protest? Can you not break your own diet for one meal, when invited to someone's home? (Again, we're not talking about genuine health problems.)

I saw a cartoon about Jesus and the feeding of the five thousand. It was titled "If it happened today" and the people were asking, "Does the bread have gluten?" "Has the fish been tested for mercury?" and so on. It was funny.

Does the Bible have anything to say about our food choices? Yes.

Back in New Testament times, for Jewish believers in Jesus, there were two camps:
  1. Those who wouldn't eat any meat that had been offered to idols
  2. Those who realized idols weren't anything but carved images, so they felt free to eat any meat
This was a conscience issue, as the Apostle Paul explained, and he instructed brothers in Christ not to look down on one another. For one believeth that he may eat all things: another, who is weak, eateth herbs. Let not him that eateth despise him that eateth not; and let not him which eateth not judge him that eateth: for God hath received him (Romans 14:2-3).

The unity of the church is much more important than what people eat. Let us therefore follow after the things which make for peace, and things wherewith one may edify another. For meat destroy not the work of God. All things indeed are pure; but it is evil for that man who eateth with offence (Romans 14:19-20).

This next Bible passage is about issues in the last days of the world: Commanding to abstain from meats, which God hath created to be received with thanksgiving of them which believe and know the truth. For every creature of God is good, and nothing to be refused, if it be received with thanksgiving: For it is sanctified by the word of God and prayer (1 Timothy 4:3b-5).

So, how should Christians act when invited to others' homes?
  • Jesus said, And into whatsoever city ye enter, and they receive you, eat such things as are set before you (Luke 10:8).
  • In the context of meat offered to idols: If any of them that believe not bid you to a feast, and ye be disposed to go; whatsoever is set before you, eat, asking no question for conscience sake (1 Corinthians 10:27).
Many years ago, I remember a rift in a Christian community over cooked and raw foods. Some only ate raw, and others enjoyed all kinds of foods. I actually overheard people asking what would be served at social events. I attended a women's meeting at that time and noticed the food was arranged in the two categories. A few years back, I went to a church function where people could choose between three different menus.

When I was young, there were two options: 
  1. Try a little of everything, (and if you didn't like it, you didn't need to ask for more). 
  2. Go without. 

We learned to eat whatever was served with gusto. Even today, my siblings and I enjoy almost any kind of food. Of course we have our preferences. Everyone does. But, we can go to anyone's home and happily eat what is set before us.

We can, of course, watch what we eat. When we attend a potluck meal, we're free to pick and choose. 

If you have an allergy or other health issue (diabetes, celiac, allergies, etc.) it is absolutely fine to tell the hostess ahead of your arrival about it.

But I'm afraid many Christians have gone too far. Some diet preferences today have almost become a religion. They've even divided churches into those who do and those who don't. They've separated people socially. And, instead of enjoying fellowship together around a meal, Christians are caring more about what's served than the people around them. That's sad. Maybe we need a rethink.

Jesus said, By this shall all men know that ye are my disciples, 
if ye have love one to another (John 13:35).

___________

* This story is entirely fictitious, but it represents the dilemma of hostessing today. Sadly, it's not much of an exaggeration.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share your thoughts.