Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Thursday, November 8, 2012

Like Changing Our Clothes

When we wear out our clothes, we replace them.

I remember a black skirt that I loved. It hardly ever showed a wrinkle and was a perfect weight and shape. It didn’t pick up lint. I noticed—after years of wearing it—that I’d gotten too close to our wood burning stove and had badly scorched a place at the back, near the hem. There was no hope! It had to be replaced.

In my Bible reading, I found that God will change things, just as we exchange worn out clothing for new. This is what I read:
            Of old hast thou laid the foundation of the earth: and the heavens are the work of thy hands. They shall perish, but thou shalt endure: yea, all of them shall wax old like a garment; as a vesture shalt thou change them, and they shall be changed: But thou art the same, and thy years shall have no end (Psalm 102:25-27)

What’s He going to change? The heavens and the earth!

(Here again, we see that God laid the foundation of the earth, and He also made the heavens. His creation is evident throughout the Bible.)

There will be a new heaven and a new earth. We see it in this passage, but it’s also referred to in Isaiah 65:17; 66:22 and in 2 Peter 3:10-13. This is going to happen. God will change the heavens and the earth, just as we change clothes!

I love verse 27 in Psalm 102. God is always the same. And, He’s eternal.

Everything will be brand new, and God will still be here. How cool is that!

2 comments:

  1. This may sound silly, but I have wondered about whether I will miss the old earth....though it is affected by sin, there is still much to love and to see the hand if God in. But then I figure at that point I won't care -- I'll be so caught up in seeing and being with Him that I am sure I'll love the new heaven and earth even more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really think, from the accounts of biblical people who got "sneak peeks" that heaven will leave us even more speechless than this sin-cursed beautiful earth. But, you're right; there IS so much beauty here, it's hard to imagine! I don't think you're silly at all.

    ReplyDelete

Please share your thoughts.