Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Thursday, May 31, 2018

It's Alive!



Did you ever have one of those duh moments when something you’ve known all your life finally takes hold and you begin to understand it?

Some months ago, I was doing some research for something. I came across the familiar verse: For the word of God is quick (alive), and powerful, and sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart (Hebrews 4:12).

I’ve nodded my head in agreement. God’s Word is alive, powerful, sharp, piercing, and discerning. Yes, yes. But what this verse actually says is that the Bible is alive. It is living. It is not only used by the Holy Spirit—which it is—but it’s also able to act. The Bible is the only truly living Book in the world. You can read Shakespeare, Cervantes, Goethe, or Hugo, and while you might be inspired, your soul won’t be transformed by their words. You can’t get eternal life through their words. Only God’s Word has that power. Only God’s Word is alive. Isn’t it interesting that the only attacking part of the armor of God is the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God (Ephesians 6:17b)?

Jesus Himself is referred to as the Word. In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth (John 1:1, 14). In Revelation, we read of Jesus, And he was clothed with a vesture dipped in blood: and his name is called The Word of God (Revelation 19:13).

Let’s look at some of the characteristics of God’s Word. I believe they’ll motivate you.
  • Every word of God is pure: he is a shield unto them that put their trust in him (Proverbs 30:5).
  • Jesus prayed for believers, Sanctify them through thy truth: thy word is truth (John 17:17).
  • Jesus healed by His Word: When the even was come, they brought unto him many that were possessed with devils: and he cast out the spirits with his word, and healed all that were sick (Matthew 8:16). And they were all amazed, and spake among themselves, saying, What a word is this! for with authority and power he commandeth the unclean spirits, and they come out (Luke 4:36).
  • But the word of God grew and multiplied (Acts 12:24).
  • So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God (Romans 10:17).
  • The context here is about the food we eat—why we ask God’s blessing on our food: For it is sanctified by the word of God and prayer (1 Timothy 4:5). 
  • Paul said, Wherein I suffer trouble, as an evil doer, even unto bonds; but the word of God is not bound (2 Timothy 2:9).
  • Being born again, not of corruptible seed, but of incorruptible, by the word of God, which liveth and abideth for ever (1 Peter 1:23).

Another aspect of God’s Word is that it actively works in the believer’s life. It is changing us—transforming us. The Bible calls this process sanctification. It’s becoming more and more like Christ. Of course, we won’t be fully like Him until we’re in heaven, but it’s that teaching and molding process.

The Bible says the Word is our food and drink. As newborn babes, desire the sincere milk of the word, that ye may grow thereby (1 Peter 2:2). And Jesus answered him, saying, It is written, That man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word of God (Luke 4:4).

It’s only by the Word of God that people can be saved. It continues to work in Christians.
In whom ye also trusted, after that ye heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation: in whom also after that ye believed, ye were sealed with that holy Spirit of promise (Ephesians 1:13)
For this cause also thank we God without ceasing, because, when ye received the word of God which ye heard of us, ye received it not as the word of men, but as it is in truth, the word of God, which effectually worketh also in you that believe (1 Thessalonians 2:13).

Here are a few more things that the Word can do for believers:
  • It is completely trustworthy. My covenant will I not break, nor alter the thing that is gone out of my lips. It shall be established for ever as the moon, and as a faithful witness in heaven. Selah (Psalm 89:34, 37).
  • It washes the church. That he might sanctify and cleanse it with the washing of water by the word (Ephesians 5:26).
  • It indwells the Christian. Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom; teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord (Colossians 3:16).
  • It’s great preaching material and challenges us with its truth. Preach the word; be instant in season, out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort with all longsuffering and doctrine (2 Timothy 4:2).
  • It is eternal—and always there for us. Forever, O LORD, thy word is settled in heaven (Psalm 119:89). But the word of the Lord endureth for ever. And this is the word which by the gospel is preached unto you (1 Peter 1:25).
  • It strengthens believers so they can overcome the devil. I have written unto you, young men, because ye are strong, and the word of God abideth in you, and ye have overcome the wicked one (1 John 2:14b).

If you really want to be inspired, read these verses from Psalm 119:
  • Wherewithal shall a young man cleanse his way? by taking heed thereto according to thy word (verse 9).
  • Thy word have I hid in mine heart, that I might not sin against thee (11).
  • I will delight myself in thy statutes: I will not forget thy word (16).
  • Deal bountifully with thy servant, that I may live, and keep thy word (17).
  • My soul cleaveth unto the dust: quicken thou me according to thy word (25).
  • My soul melteth for heaviness: strengthen thou me according unto thy word (28).
  • Stablish thy word unto thy servant, who is devoted to thy fear (38).
  • Let thy mercies come also unto me, O LORD, even thy salvation, according to thy word (41).
  • So shall I have wherewith to answer him that reproacheth me: for I trust in thy word (42).
  • This is my comfort in my affliction: for thy word hath quickened me (50).
  • I intreated thy favour with my whole heart: be merciful unto me according to thy word (58).
  • Thou hast dealt well with thy servant, O LORD, according unto thy word (65).
  • Before I was afflicted I went astray: but now have I kept thy word (67).
  • They that fear thee will be glad when they see me; because I have hoped in thy word (74).
  • Let, I pray thee, thy merciful kindness be for my comfort, according to thy word unto thy servant (76).
  • My soul fainteth for thy salvation: but I hope in thy word (81).
  • Mine eyes fail for thy word, saying, When wilt thou comfort me? (82)
  • I have refrained my feet from every evil way, that I might keep thy word (101).
  • Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path (105).
  • Thou art my hiding place and my shield: I hope in thy word (114).
  • Uphold me according unto thy word, that I may live: and let me not be ashamed of my hope (116).
  • Order my steps in thy word: and let not any iniquity have dominion over me (133).
  • Thy word is very pure: therefore thy servant loveth it (140).
  • I prevented the dawning of the morning, and cried: I hoped in thy word (147).
  • Thy word is true from the beginning: and every one of thy righteous judgments endureth forever (160).
  • Princes have persecuted me without a cause: but my heart standeth in awe of thy word (161).
  • I rejoice at thy word, as one that findeth great spoil (162).
  • Let my cry come near before thee, O LORD: give me understanding according to thy word (169).
  • Let my supplication come before thee: deliver me according to thy word (170).
  • My tongue shall speak of thy word: for all thy commandments are righteousness (172).

Have you ever read the Bible? A great place to begin is the Gospel of John. It’s only twenty-one chapters, so you can easily read it within a month, a chapter a day. John is all about Jesus’ ministry years. You’ll enjoy reading the living Book. 

It can change your life.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share your thoughts.