Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Tuesday, June 5, 2018

The Online Dating Survey Results



A little while ago, I asked my friends about online dating. Thank you to the fourteen who answered my survey. While this is not a definitive survey by any means, I believe we can come to some interesting conclusions after seeing these results. Are you ready?

Q  Have you ever put your profile on online dating sites?
A  Yes  43%
     No  57%

Q  How old were you when you put your profile online?
A  18-25  50%
     26-35  33%
     35-45  17%

Q  Did you actually physically meet anyone as a result?
A  Yes, more than one person  33%
     No  67%

Q  Was it a Christian dating site?
A  Yes  50%
     No  50%

Q  Would you recommend online dating to others?
A  Yes, definitely  8%
     Yes, but with cautions  33%
     No  58%

Q  Do you believe it’s a lack of trust in God for a person to use an online dating site?
A  Yes  46%
     No 53%

Q  If you got married after using online dating, did you find out you were both …
A  Completely honest?  50%
     Searching for love in the best way we knew?  50%

Q  Did you find love?
A  Yes  20%
     No  80%

Two of those who responded got married as a result of online dating. My participants were fairly evenly divided about putting a profile online, using a Christian dating site, recommending online dating to others, and whether or not they believe it’s a lack of trust in God to use online dating.

Is it a lack of trust in God? I’m not sure myself. I have always believed that, if a man and a woman are walking in God’s will and it is His will for them to meet each other, then they can’t possibly miss each other. God will bring them together. Could He use an online dating site to accomplish that? Of course.

Should Christians scorn those who use online sites? No. We’re supposed to be encouraging and loving. Each person’s choice is his own.

Would I actively encourage young people to put themselves out there? I’m on the fence on this one, as were my friends. Some said yes, with cautions. Some said no. I still prefer face-to-face friendships. But, as a manner of meeting someone ….

The Bible is clear that a woman doesn’t go after a man. In fact, not once in the Bible did a good woman go after a man—only bad women or women with bad motives. So, the man is to look for a woman. If he does so online, is that wrong? Hmmm ….

Two of my friends actually found their partners online. Yay for them!

The great majority said they didn’t find love online.

So, what do you think? Is online dating something you’d recommend? Why or why not? Or, are you on the fence about it—like me?

If you’re interested in guidelines for Christian dating and reading about Ruth, you might enjoy these posts: Did Ruth Chase Boaz? and Don't Let the Big Fish Get Away .
  


4 comments:

  1. There was a couple in our former church who met through an online dating site and married - they have three sons now. It seems to have worked for them.

    I'm kind of on the fence, too. I wouldn't condemn it, but I don't know if I'd use it if I were single or if it had been available when I was. I probably would have been very curious about it then.

    When I was in college, it was popular for girls to make lists of what they'd like in a husband - not hair and eye color, but character traits. While I think that helped us concentrate on the internal rather than the external, it's still limited. There are things I appreciate about my husband that I didn't know I would back then, so I wouldn't have known to look for those traits. So I guess either way, by conventional or online dating, you do what you can to get to know the person, but ultimately you have to trust God's guidance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I made one of those lists when I was fifteen! It included hair and eye color. That shows how "deep" it was! I went back over it after I met my husband--in person--and he added up to everything except the hair and eye colors. :) I was so silly! Thank you, Barbara, for your thoughtful comment.

      Delete
  2. Honestly, onine dating could be a good and bad thing. Great article that covers pros and cons of that on this blog https://datinglodge.com/is-online-dating-worth-it/ As for me… I have spent a lot of hours on datings sites and apps, and it was really hard way for me to find a sincere person.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment, Garnett. I agree with you that one of the problems is sincerity.

      Delete

Please share your thoughts.