Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Wednesday, August 6, 2014

"We'll Understand It All By and By." Will We?

Illustration by: Vlado

The old song twangs, “We’ll understand it all by and by.” It’s a nice thought.

The Bible says, For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known (1 Corinthians 13:12).

We know that God’s knowledge—past, present, and future—has no limits. He is eternal and omniscient. Great is our Lord, and of great power: his understanding is infinite (Psalm 147:5).

When we get to heaven, it’s quite possible that all of our doubts and all of our stored-up questions will be instantly answered. Or maybe we’ll spend eternity sashaying over to talk with the Apostle Paul, Ruth, Esther, and Job. We may ask Peter how it felt to be free of chains and guards and then to have the door unopened when he got to John Mark’s house. We can ask Daniel and Ezekiel all about the seventy weeks and the wheels and dry bones. We can quiz Mary about Jesus and what it was like to have a Perfect Child.

For sure we won’t be arguing over fine points of theology! When we get to heaven, it won’t matter your background or former interpretations. What will matter is your salvation by the grace of God and what you did afterwards. I fully believe everyone will have the same, perfect, biblical theology in heaven. (Now, that will be heaven!)

We won’t have to ask the thief on the cross why he didn’t have to get baptized. We won’t need to ask Esther why she married a heathen king. We’ll know the answers.

Or will we?

God doesn’t tell us plainly, in black and white. The only passage that indicates that all might be revealed is 1 Corinthians 13:12 (at the top of this post).

In what sense will we know all?

In Luke 24:25, Jesus opened . . . their understanding, that they might understand the scriptures. Obviously, Jesus can open anyone’s understanding whenever and however He wishes.

I always wonder if the things I have questions about will even matter, once I see Jesus.

In His Presence, will I care how he multiplied the loaves and fishes? Will it matter to me how he turned the water to wine and what exactly the wine tasted like? Will I be scratching my head about how Lazarus got out of the tomb, when he was bound up like a mummy? Did he fly out? Did he float? Oh yeah, and I also want to know how Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego got vertically out of that oven. Whoosh?

Face to face with Jesus, I have a feeling I won’t have any questions.

I will be satisfied.

The psalmist David said, As for me, I will behold thy face in righteousness: I shall be satisfied, when I awake, with thy likeness (Psalm 17:15).

I will sit at His feet—like Mary of Bethany. I will sit and worship and take Him in.

I won’t have questions anymore.

Jesus will be more than enough.
  

2 comments:

  1. I've had that thought, too, when I have heard songs along the line of understanding everything when we get to heaven - we're not really told that we will, and there will always be things about God too big for us to understand. But I never thought about it in the light that we really won't care about some of those things any more because we'll be perfectly satisfied in Him. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Barbara. I always enjoy thinking about what heaven will be like. I'm glad you do, too. God bless!

      Delete

Please share your thoughts.