Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Sunday, August 31, 2014

To Die For, To Live For

Photo by: Just2shutter


I chuckle looking at Pinterest pictures and their captions. (You can follow me, if you want.) People say things like:
A hairstyle to die for
I could die here.
A sofa to die for
A kitchen to die for

Okay, I understand their meaning. It’s something like woot, “want one of these.” (I did a post on woot. You can access it here.). It’s an expression. They don’t really mean they would actually die for hair like that or a sofa or kitchen like that, and they really do mean they'd love to go there on vacation—not die there. I get it, and I laugh a little at the word choice.

For me, it’s a lot more fun to think about living. What do I live for? What’s my purpose in life? What are my goals and aspirations? Where do I get my life purpose?

Here’s a selection of verses that help me see what’s really important:
  • For whosoever will save his life shall lose it: and whosoever will lose his life for my sake shall find it (Matthew 16:25).
  • Whether therefore ye eat, or drink, or whatsoever ye do, do all to the glory of God (1 Corinthians 10:31).
  • I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me (Galatians 2:20).
  • According to my earnest expectation and my hope, that in nothing I shall be ashamed, but that with all boldness, as always, so now also Christ shall be magnified in my body, whether it be by life, or by death. For to me to live is Christ, and to die is gain. But if I live in the flesh, this is the fruit of my labour: yet what I shall choose I wot not (Philippians 1:20-22).


My purpose statement? I want to glorify and magnify Jesus Christ with my life. I want everything that I am and everything I do to be invested in His work. I want to live by faith and for Christ.

So, how do I go about doing that?

Some people emphasize spiritual exercises (fasting, prayer, Bible study, etc.). These are fine, of course.

Some emphasize evangelism. Again, fine.

Some emphasize conformity to rules and lists and laws. If they're biblical and not legalistic, they might be fine. (Nope; I don't like man-made lists.)

Some emphasize one thing, and some emphasize another.

Look back at the verses above. What's the emphasis in each verse? Jesus, God, Christ, and Christ, in that order.

Where should our emphasis be? Obviously, it’s not supposed to be on our selves.

It’s supposed to be on the Lord Jesus Christ. Who hath delivered us from the power of darkness, and hath translated us into the kingdom of his dear Son: In whom we have redemption through his blood, even the forgiveness of sins: Who is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of every creature: For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible, whether they be thrones, or dominions, or principalities, or powers: all things were created by him, and for him: And he is before all things, and by him all things consist. And he is the head of the body, the church: who is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead; that in all things he might have the preeminence. For it pleased the Father that in him should all fulness dwell (Colossians 1:13-19).

Am I living for my new hairstyle?
Am I living for my next vacation?
Am I living for the new sofa or kitchen re-do?
Am I living for money?
Fame?
Things? 
Pleasure?
Lust?
Another person?
Adventure?
Approval?

Or is my whole life purpose to glorify God with whatever I do and with all my being?

That’s what God wants.
  
And thou shalt love the LORD thy God
with all thine heart, and with all thy soul,
and with all thy might.
(Deuteronomy 6:5)
  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share your thoughts.