Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Saturday, August 30, 2014

A Mighty Fortress

Photo by: yorresiek

As you know, we live in Spain. There are still over 2,000 castles still standing here, and I enjoy seeing every single one. I’m always impressed by their strength. They’re made of stone, surrounded by walls and moats and perched on high hills. Some, like the famous Alcázar in Segovia, are on the edge of incredible cliffs. They were places of protection and refuge.

The Bible says the Lord Himself is a Fortress for the believer. Here are some of the wonderful verses about how David and others rejoiced in that truth:
  • And he (David) said, The LORD is my rock, and my fortress, and my deliverer (2 Samuel 22:2).
  • The LORD is my rock, and my fortress, and my deliverer; my God, my strength, in whom I will trust; my buckler, and the horn of my salvation, and my high tower (Psalm 18:2, David).
  • For thou art my rock and my fortress; therefore for thy name’s sake lead me, and guide me (Psalm 31:3, David).
  • Be thou my strong habitation, whereunto I may continually resort: thou hast given commandment to save me; for thou art my rock and my fortress (Psalm 71:3, author not named).
  • I will say of the LORD, He is my refuge and my fortress: my God; in him will I trust (Psalm 91:2, psalmist not named).
  • My goodness, and my fortress; my high tower, and my deliverer; my shield, and he in whom I trust; who subdueth my people under me (Psalm 144:2, David).


Diagram from: myliteraryquest* 

Look at a “typical” castle fortress, its layers of security, and how it’s a place of refuge.

What’s the application for us today? We don’t live in an age of lords and ladies and knights in shining armor. We don’t use castles as protection, nor moats, nor archers and boiling oil. We’re more modern than that!

But, we still need a Refuge.

We need a place where we can run and hide and feel safely tucked in. We need Someone Else to do the fighting for us and the protecting and to keep up the walls. That Someone, that wonderful Fortress is our God.

Do you need to be saved?
Go to the Lord.

Do you need a safe place?
Go to the Lord.

Do you need to feel protected?
Go to the Lord.

Do you need a wall around you?
Go to the Lord.

Do you need Someone to defend you?
Go to the Lord.


Is Jesus your fortress? Have you walked through the gate?
  • Jesus said, I am the door: by me if any man enter in, he shall be saved, and shall go in and out, and find pasture (John 19:9).
  • Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me (John 14:6).
  • Jesus also said, Enter ye in at the strait gate: for wide is the gate, and broad is the way, that leadeth to destruction, and many there be which go in thereat: Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it (Matthew 7:13-14).

If you have come to faith by way of Jesus, then you will find comfort inside the castle.
  • I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety (Psalm 4:8).
  • I will abide in thy tabernacle for ever: I will trust in the covert of thy wings. Selah (Psalm 61:4).
  • The horse is prepared against the day of battle: but safety is of the LORD (Proverbs 21:31).
  • Jesus said, Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest (Matthew 11:28).
  • And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you forever (John 14:16).
  • Blessed be God, even the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies, and the God of all comfort; Who comforteth us in all our tribulation, that we may be able to comfort them which are in any trouble, by the comfort wherewith we ourselves are comforted of God (2 Corinthians 1:3-4).

 For thou art my rock and my fortress;
therefore for thy name’s sake lead me, and guide me. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share your thoughts.