Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Monday, March 21, 2016

Best Christian Books for Women Survey Results



I asked my Christian women friends if they would share one book besides the Bible that had greatly impacted their life. It needed to be a book they’d consider a “must read” for Christian women. (A few “cheated” and named two books, but we’ll forgive them!)

Here are the results of my survey:

The books most mentioned:
  1. Evidence Not Seen by Darlene Diebler Rose was the runaway favorite.
  2. Lies Women Believe and the Truth That Sets Them Free by Nancy Leigh DeMoss was in second place.
  3. With two recommendations each: A Woman After God’s Own Heart by Elizabeth George, Hind’s Feet in High Places by Hannah Hurnard, By Searching by Isobel Kuhn, and the fiction book Not My Will by Francena Arnold.


Each of these was mentioned once (in alphabetical order of authors):
  • Daily Light by Samuel Bagster
  • Changed Into His Image, a Bible study by Jim Berg
  • The Silver Cord by Amy Carmichael
  • Womanly Dominion by Mark Chanski
  • Spiritual Leadership by Paul Chappell
  • It’s a Wonderful Life by Terrie Chappell
  • What Do I Know About My God? by Mardi Collier
  • Streams in the Desert by L. B. Cowman and James Reimann
  • A Place of Quiet Rest by Nancy Leigh DeMoss
  • Choosing Gratitude by Nancy Leigh DeMoss
  • A Chance to Die, biography of Amy Carmichael by Elisabeth Elliot
  • Keep a Quiet Heart by Elisabeth Elliot
  • These Strange Ashes by Elisabeth Elliot
  • Loving God With All Your Mind by Elizabeth George
  • Mountains of Spices by Hannah Hurnard
  • Just a Walk Across the Room by Bill Hybels
  • Green Leaf in Drought Time by Isobel Kuhn
  • The Search for Significance by Robert McGee
  • The Power of a Praying Wife by Stormie O’Martian
  • The Excellent Wife by Martha Peace
  • Created to Be His Helpmeet by Debi Pearl
  • Faithful Women and Their Extraordinary God by Noel Piper
  • More Love to Thee by Elizabeth Prentis
  • Redeeming Love fiction by Francine Rivers
  • Off Script by Cary Schmidt
  • In His Steps by Charles Sheldon
  • The Place by Shirley Starr
  • Sacred Influence by Gary Thomas
  • Biography of C. T. Studd, author unknown
  • Missionary biographies in general

What a wonderful list! I know you’ll want to read Evidence Not Seen and add quite a few of these titles to your bookshelf or e-reader. Enjoy being challenged by great Christian books!

___________________


Disclaimer: This is a list of my friends’ favorites, not a blanket endorsement. Many are great books; quite a few are Christian classics. I’ve read twenty-two of them. (Now, to read some of the others!) I didn't take part in the survey, since I'd find it totally impossible to narrow it down to one!


4 comments:

  1. Thank you for this list. Always in search of good books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jackie. I hope to get my hands on several of these!

      Delete
  2. I must have either missed this or, more likely, put it on the back burner to think about and then forgot it. I've read about 18 of these and would echo many of them. I wouldn't be able to name just one book, either. :-) Along with Isobel Kuhn's By Searching, I'd add In the Arena, which continues her life story but also shows how God used each circumstance in our lives as an arena to show forth His grace. Rosalind Goforth's Climbing affected me greatly and I quote from it often. About anything of Elisabeth Elliot's is good, but one that impacted me most as a woman was Let me Be a Woman, written for her daughter before her marriage. The one I am reading now will likely go on my list as well: True Woman 201: Interior Design by Nancy Leigh DeMoss and Mary Kassian. It's about the best study of Titus 2:1-5 that I have even seen. Becoming God's True Woman, edited by Nancy Leigh DeMoss, containing writings from a number of women, was helpful as well (http://sharperiron.org/article/book-review-becoming-gods-true-woman). I actually once came up with 98 books or series that impacted my life (https://barbarah.wordpress.com/2010/10/12/98-books-and-book-series-that-have-enriched-my-life/). :-) The impact was in a variety of ways, though, and not just from the vantage point of Christian womanhood.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, so many wonderful reads to choose from! I have really enjoyed a lot of these that were mentioned. Thank you for those that you named. I haven't read any of those except Let Me Be a Woman. I absolutely LOVE Rosalind Goforth's books. Now, to read Climbing! Nancy Leigh DeMoss and Elisabeth Elliot are two of my favorite contemporary authors--so straightforward and biblical. Thank you for sharing! God bless you, Barbara!

      Delete

Please share your thoughts.