Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Friday, August 29, 2014

I Owe Him My Life

Illustration: freebibleimages

His voice calls to me, and I feel my heart beat—slowly at first, but then faster. He says, “Talitha cumi.”* I try to open my eyes. They flutter and open, and there He is, the kindest Face I’ve ever seen, smiling at me. He offers His hand. I reach out, and He takes my hand in His. I feel strength now, and I sit up and look around me. Behind the Man with the Voice are three men simply dressed, and then I see my mother. She is crying, but they are tears of joy. She is sobbing and laughing all at the same time. I rise and stand up. The Man says I need to eat, and Mama hurries out of the room, looking back at me over her shoulder. And then I see Papa. He is beaming from ear to ear, but there are tears in his eyes, too. The Man says not to tell anyone what happened in that room.

Now I remember. I was so sick. I had a fever. The women were fanning me and bathing me with cold water. I must have slept. I don’t remember anything else. I’m glad I’m well now. I owe that Man my life. I know from His Voice and His touch that He made me well.

Mama comes back in with bread and juice. As I eat the bread and drink the sweet grape juice, the Man and His friends smile. My mother isn’t crying now. She hugs me. Papa hugs me. I notice the Man and His disciples are gone.

I owe that Man my life. I am twelve years old, and I realize that One who can heal like that—they tell me I was dead—has to be from God. I know about God. My Papa has taught me about Him. This Man Jesus is the Messiah. I know it. Papa and Mama know it, too. I want to give my life back to Him for what He did for me.

I am Jairus’ daughter.**

________________________________


When Jesus saves a soul, He doesn’t exactly physically raise someone from the dead, as He did Jairus’ daughter. But, the Bible describes it as a new birth. In John 3, Jesus is explaining the new spiritual birth to a Pharisee named Nicodemus. Nicodemus was a little bit confused. He said, How can a man be born when he is old? can he enter the second time into his mother’s womb, and be born? Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God. That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit. Marvel not that I said unto thee, Ye must be born again (John 3:4-7).

Nicodemus asked more questions, and Jesus explained about His coming death. And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of man be lifted up: That whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have eternal life. For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved (John 3:14-17).

Nicodemus understood that Old Testament illustration. We’re not told when Nicodemus put his faith in Jesus for salvation, but we know he did! John 7:50-52 seems to indicate he was already a “closet Christian” or was very close to faith. By John 19:39, we see Nicodemus with Joseph of Arimathaea, and they’re both identified as believers. Nicodemus brings the spices for Jesus’ body as they wrap it for burial.

________________________________


Has God saved you? Have you put your faith in Him and been born again? Are you trusting Him alone for salvation? Do you recognize Him as your Savior from sin?

If so, you've passed from death unto life (John 5:24). And, like Jairus’ daughter,  you owe Him your life.



*Talitha cumi; which is, being interpreted, Damsel, I say unto thee, arise (from Mark 5:41. Talitha cumi is Aramaic.)

**The story of Jairus’ daughter is in Mark 5:22-24, 35-43 and Luke 8:41-42, 49-56. My imaginative first-person story is based on the biblical facts.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share your thoughts.