Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Thursday, April 11, 2013

A Well of Life and Choice Silver


I was reading Proverbs 10 today, and I noticed that so many verses talked about the mouth or lips. There were mouths of both good people and bad people.

We’ll concentrate on what it says about the mouths of good people:
  • The mouth of a righteous man is a well of life (verse 11a). (Well has the idea of “fountain” or “source.”) 
  • The lips of the righteous feed many (verse 21a). (The Hebrew word for feed means “to pasture or shepherd.”)
  • The mouth of the just bringeth forth wisdom (verse 31a).
  • The lips of the righteous know what is acceptable (verse 32a).
  • In the lips of him that hath understanding wisdom is found (verse 13a).
  • The tongue of the just is as choice silver (verse 20a).

Let’s apply the above verses practically:
  • Is my mouth a source of life? Does it spread the gospel to others? Does it build up and encourage others?
  • Do I speak wisdom? (The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom. Psalm 111:10; Proverbs 9:10)
  • Does my tongue speak fairly? Is my speech beautiful and precious, like silver?
  • Do my lips shepherd others? Am I helping fellow Christians grow by my words?
  • Do I speak what is appropriate? Do I know when to refrain from comment?

I’m reminded of Proverbs 31:26. In the description of the Virtuous Woman, God says, She openeth her mouth with wisdom; and in her tongue is the law of kindness.
  • Is my speech kind?

There are many other positive Bible verses about how to speak. Here’s a sampling:
            That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved. For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation (Romans 10:9-10).
            That ye may with one mind and one mouth glorify God, even the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ (Romans 15:6).
            Let no corrupt communication proceed out of your mouth, but that which is good to the use of edifying, that it may minister grace unto the hearers (Ephesians 4:29).
            And for me, that utterance may be given unto me, that I may open my mouth boldly, to make known the mystery of the gospel (Ephesians 6:19).

While it’s true that the Scriptures describe the tongue as a world of iniquity, a fire, and an unruly evil, full of deadly poison, it’s also true that our words can be used for good. (quotes from James 3:6, 8).

Let’s open our mouths with wisdom, and may kindness be found in our speech.

Let’s spread the gospel, be appropriate when we speak, and glorify God by what we say.

God bless.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share your thoughts.