Have you ever dreamed of being a teacher in Korea? Mexico? Uganda?
Do you have a burden for orphans?
Would you like to homeschool missionary children?
Do you want to work in a Christian camp in Africa or Brazil?
Recently, I put out feelers for two young friends of mine, both of whom have degrees in elementary education and experience in different fields. They have hearts for missions—for making a difference in the lives of children. They were looking for two different kinds of ministries. I was amazed at all the possibilities!
Missionaries who answered my appeals said things like:
- We’ve been praying for a single woman to help us.
- We have so many positions that need filled (Christian school).
- We need someone to teach our missionary children on this field.
- We have a need in (this time frame).
Some positions are paid or partly paid. Others would necessitate the young woman to raise missionary support to be able to go.
What amazed me was the need!
Do you have skills you could use on a foreign field?
Do you speak a foreign language?
Has God burdened your heart for missions?
Do you want to teach?
Are you in a transitional place in your life, single, and could serve for a year or two abroad?
Do you love children and women’s work?
Are you willing to joyfully live outside your comfort zone and make a difference for eternity?
Are you willing to work hard?
There’s a place for you!
I am absolutely not offering myself to find you work, but I can help you with these suggestions:
- Talk to your pastor. See if he has news of any missionaries that need help or contacts you can pursue.
- Put out feelers. Let missionaries know what kinds of opportunities you’re looking for. Many mission boards will be knowledgeable about needs on different fields.
- When you’ve narrowed your search, ask lots of questions. Find out exactly what the situation is. Is it a paid position? How soon would you have to have your support? How much should you raise? Cost of living? What to take with you? Housing possibilities? Etc. Find out about the work you’re going to do. How many children are in a class, how can you prepare, curriculum used, etc. Ask. Ask. Ask.
- Ask God for wisdom in choosing. Involve your family and pastor to join you in praying for God’s leadership and peace.
- Present your work to your own church. Get prayer support! Get people behind you.
- Prepare your heart. Learn to walk with God now. Learn how to lead people to Christ now. Understand the gospel now. Be prepared for hardships now. Grow in the Lord now.
Many missionaries are doing the work of two or three people. Many fields need willing helpers.
Why not consider going?
Go ye therefore, and teach all nations,
baptizing them in the name of the Father,
and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:
Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you:
and, lo, I am with you alway,
even unto the end of the world. Amen.
Can you go? Can you teach? Can you share the gospel? Can you disciple?
Jesus says, lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world.