Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Friday, April 27, 2018

Child-led Education: Yes or No?


I recently completed one of those questionnaires to figure out which philosophy of education I'm closest to. It was very interesting. I noticed lots of times the questions were rewordings of questions I’d already answered. I also thought my result was curious, as I had no idea what it was talking about; I need to do some research. Several questions were about child-led education. Hmmm … what a concept!

I am a surviving homeschool teacher. By that, I mean I homeschooled our children from kindergarten to 12th grade and lived to tell about it. Before we had children, I taught night classes for adults in a community college. Now, I teach high school teens in a virtual online classroom.

When I was young, the “wonderful” world of open schools was born. They tore down walls between classrooms and let children wander around the school, sitting and reading, if they felt like it, or watching the fish, if they wanted to. If they just wanted to cuddle on the floor and go to sleep, it was perfectly fine. As a result, motivated children actually learned something and non-interested kids got good naps. Many children fell between the cracks and didn’t learn to read, write, or do arithmetic. The open schools put their walls back up.

Student-led schooling interests me. I imagine all kinds of scenarios. Child-directed learning is supposed to be something like the parents following the child around to see what catches the child’s eye. The parent doesn’t exactly teach; he moderates. He enables the child to learn what the child wants to learn.

There’s a huge part of me that says yes, this is what we would love to do. It’s great to go on hikes with our kids and watch their eyes get wide with interest when they discover birds, animals, insects, leaves, flowers, and trees.

I remember doing that with my family, and my father was the one who paused, pointed out the flower, distinctive tree bark or cone, and picked up the walking stick and praying mantis. He taught us as we trekked through the forest. He showed us beauty. We were just little kids, happily tromping along, until Daddy pointed things out to us and sometimes quizzed us about varieties of trees, plants and fauna. We’d go canoeing on lakes, always trying to be quiet in the inlets so we could sneak up on birds. My mother was a panorama person. As we’d drive, she’d point out the gorgeous scenes from the car. Both my parents would share historical backgrounds with us. They taught us.

So, I’m trying to wrap my head around child-led learning. If it had been up to me, when I was little, I would have learned to read—because both my parents were avid readers and read aloud to me. I would have learned to write in order to express myself but probably not as early as I did. I would have always drawn pictures. Would I have studied math? Not at all. Would I have done chemistry—which I loved, by the way? Never. Would I have known biology, world history, and so much more? Not a chance. Government? Nope. Economics. No. Would I have done a research paper on my own? Are you kidding? Would I have been prepared for college? No way.

While I think there’s a real positive in following children’s interests and encouraging them, I believe children need teaching. I also think it’s a good idea to have a well-rounded curriculum—even if you and the child put it together. Your child needs to study:
  • Bible
  • Reading
  • English grammar
  • Writing and typing
  • Computer literacy
  • Math—I recommend at least Algebra 1, 2, and Geometry.
  • Practical economics
  • World History and the history of his home country and state
  • Geography
  • Government
  • Biology, Physical Science, and Chemistry


I very highly recommend adding:
  • Music
  • Art and architecture
  • At least one foreign language
  • Public speaking
  • Creative writing

Let students branch out and do what they love:
  • Sports
  • Robotics
  • Computer technology and repair
  • Mechanics
  • Carpentry
  • Cosmetology
  • Cooking
  • Sewing and tailoring

There’s a biblical basis for parental leadership in school studies as well as Bible being the most important subject of all. Let me share a few of those verses:
  • For I know him (Abraham), that he will command his children and his household after him, and they shall keep the way of the LORD, to do justice and judgment; that the LORD may bring upon Abraham that which he hath spoken of him (Genesis 18:19).
  • And these words, which I command thee this day, shall be in thine heart: And thou shalt teach them diligently unto thy children, and shalt talk of them when thou sittest in thine house, and when thou walkest by the way, and when thou liest down, and when thou risest up (Deuteronomy 6:6-7).
  • Come, ye children, hearken unto me: I will teach you the fear of the LORD (Psalm 34:11).
  • My son, hear the instruction of thy father, and forsake not the law of thy mother (Proverbs 1:8; 6:20).
  • A wise son heareth his father's instruction: but a scorner heareth not rebuke (Proverbs 13:1).
  • A wise son maketh a glad father: but a foolish man despiseth his mother (Proverbs 15:20).
  • And, ye fathers, provoke not your children to wrath: but bring them up in the nurture and admonition of the Lord (Ephesians 6:4).


In fact, all through the Scriptures, older people teach and mentor younger people.
  • Do we want a future generation that responds positively to guidance?
  • Do we want respectful, obedient children?
  • Do we want them to grow up appreciating nature and the things around them—and having a very good foundational education?
  • Do we want to bring up the next generation’s engineers, inventors, thinkers, teachers, medical professionals, mechanics, and homemakers?
  • Do we want our kids to make a difference in the world?
  • Do we want our children to be faithful church members, serving the Lord?
  • And, most important of all: do we want our kids to love God with all their hearts, and in turn, instruct their children in the Bible?

We will not hide them from their children,
shewing to the generation to come the praises of the LORD,
and his strength, and his wonderful works that he hath done.
For he established a testimony in Jacob, and appointed a law in Israel,
which he commanded our fathers,
that they should make them known to their children:
That the generation to come might know them,
even the children which should be born;
who should arise and declare them to their children:
That they might set their hope in God, and not forget the works of God,
but keep his commandments (Psalm 78:4-7).


What’s our real purpose in education? To lead, teach, mentor, and most of all, to share the Bible from generation to generation.

As you evaluate your child’s education for the coming school year, please consider it within a biblical framework.

May God bless you!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share your thoughts.