Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Wednesday, April 1, 2015

"Enlighten My Darkness"

Photo by: Brittany Dechant

For thou wilt light my candle:
the LORD my God will enlighten my darkness.
(Psalm 18:28)

When we think of the Lord as being light, this verse takes on a beautiful meaning. David is praising God for His enabling to have victory over his enemies, including his liberation from the hands of Saul. In this verse, David says that God will light his lamp. God will shine light into his darkness.

I love the way David expresses his absolute confidence in the Lord. He expects God to light his way, to shine in his life.

David wasn’t the only one. Job said, Oh that I were as in months past, as in the days when God preserved me; When his candle shined upon my head, and when by his light I walked through darkness (Job 29:2-3). Isaiah said, For Zion’s sake will I not hold my peace, and for Jerusalem’s sake I will not rest, until the righteousness thereof go forth as brightness, and the salvation thereof as a lamp that burneth (Isaiah 62:1).

God is Light. This then is the message which we have heard of him, and declare unto you, that God is light, and in him is no darkness at all (1 John 1:5).

Jesus (God in flesh) said, I am the light of the world: he that followeth me shall not walk in darkness, but shall have the light of life (John 8:12b). As long as I am in the world, I am the light of the world (John 9:5).

Jesus shines light on every person. That was the true Light, which lighteth every man that cometh into the world (John 1:9).

The Bible says that God’s Word is light, also. Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path (Psalm 119:105). For the commandment is a lamp; and the law is light; and reproofs of instruction are the way of life (Proverbs 6:23).

I wonder, are we looking to God to shine His light in our lives? Have we trusted Christ? Do we value God’s Word, the Bible? Or do we look to another source—even within ourselves?

The Bible says, there shall be no reward to the evil man; the candle of the wicked shall be put out (Proverbs 24:20).

What a contrast with David’s statement! Read what the Apostle Paul said to the Corinthian Christians: But if our gospel be hid, it is hid to them that are lost: In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not, lest the light of the glorious gospel of Christ, who is the image of God, should shine unto them. For we preach not ourselves, but Christ Jesus the Lord; and ourselves your servants for Jesus’ sake. For God, who commanded the light to shine out of darkness, hath shined in our hearts, to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ. But we have this treasure in earthen vessels, that the excellency of the power may be of God, and not of us (2 Corinthians 4:3-7).

The gospel of God makes all the difference! What’s the gospel? Moreover, brethren, I declare unto you the gospel which I preached unto you, which also ye have received, and wherein ye stand; By which also ye are saved, if ye keep in memory what I preached unto you, unless ye have believed in vain. For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures (1 Corinthians 15:1-4).

The gospel is central at Easter time. Jesus died for our sins, He was buried, and on the third day, he rose from the dead.

Jesus is the Light! He offers forgiveness to everyone. He wants to shine in us and guide us.

Have you opened your heart to Him? Jesus said unto her, I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live (John 11:25).

Enlighten my darkness, dear Lord.

Have a wonderful Easter!
  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share your thoughts.