Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Wednesday, July 25, 2012

A Beautiful Prayer


I first heard this prayer used as a benediction. I read it again today.

“Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength and my redeemer” (Psalm 19:14).

It is written by David as a song, no doubt, since it’s for the chief musician. What a beautiful prayer!

How could David presume to pray it? The desire to be acceptable to God is good, but how could he think his words and thoughts could possibly be acceptable to God?

Look at the previous two verses: “Who can understand his errors? cleanse thou me from secret faults. Keep back thy servant also from presumptuous sins; let them not have dominion over me: then shall I be upright, and I shall be innocent from the great transgression” (verses 12-13). David had already asked God to cleanse him from sin!

So then, he was free to pray, Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer.”

Now, that’s beautiful!

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful, indeed. I've prayed it many times.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was so amazing last night that I could use this little lesson with a very new believer. God gives us something special, so that we can later share it with others. :o)

    ReplyDelete

Please share your thoughts.