Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Saturday, May 12, 2012

Blessings


Maybe it’s what’s happening around me, and maybe it’s spring. It could be my age!

Recently, I’ve been thinking about my blessings. I feel almost overwhelmed with the wonderful life God has given to our family.

We were directed by the Lord to a beautiful corner of the world. We are privileged to be serving God near the ocean, near high mountains, and where it is green year-round. It is breathtaking when the sun comes out—which recently hasn’t been often, but you have to pay for all that green somehow! Every city center is old. (I’m talking hundreds of years old.) Each town has its own history and lots of Old World charm. We’ve lived in several cities and in two villages. We’re in a village now, and it’s the time of year when our neighbors are cutting hay and starting their gardens. Our apple trees are in bloom. A few tulips are still hanging on to their petals. The lizards are beginning to come out again. (Where have they been all winter?) Our dog perpetually smiles, because we’re outside more. I just love hanging sheets out on the line and getting them dry in the same day. Yes, the natural beauty is a blessing!

Then, there’s our family. Without boring you with a family slide show, take my word for it that we are truly blessed. We have Christian parents and siblings, wonderful kids, and a beautiful (and very funny) little grandson. Our children married terrific mates. We’re truly thankful!

My husband is a pastor. Even though people will always be human, and sometimes the pastorate isn’t a bed of roses, it is still a privilege and a joy to serve the Lord in evangelization, Bible training, and encouraging our little flock. We have a mixture of cultures in our church, and we’re happy that our people love each other. We see a unity in Christ that could never be achieved outside common faith. Our church family is our second family.

Looking back over the last more than 30 years, I dare to alter the popular hymn a little: “Count my blessings; Name them ton by ton. Count my many blessings; See what God has done!”

Blessed be the Lord, who daily loadeth us with benefits, even the God of our salvation. (Psalm 68:19)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share your thoughts.