Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Friday, February 6, 2015

Turning Off, Tuning Out, Enjoying



My husband and I needed to deliver some things to a place several hours from our home. 
We packed up—including the boxes we needed to take—and left. About an hour down the road, 
we realized we’d left our cell phone at home. (No worries. Our families knew our destination.) 
On the way, we drove through several quaint, beautiful villages we’d never seen before, 
noted changes in cities and land we did recognize, and got a little bit lost.


We ate our picnic lunch in a quiet, scenic spot where we watched a European robin fly closer and closer to us. After eating, we asked directions and arrived in good time at our destination.

Photo: Serge Bertasius Photography

We didn’t take a computer. We didn’t have a phone. We didn’t have GPS, and we forgot a map.

It was wonderful!

On the return trip the next day, we did another jaunt into the countryside and stopped in front of a house built in the 1500s, took photos of chickens, and walked through a graveyard. We talked, enjoyed a gorgeous sunset, and, except for some nutty drivers, 
we savored every second of our trip home.





When we got home, I made supper first. Later, I sat down at the computer to find out what we’d missed. Not much! There were less than ten important e-mails. None were critical. 
There were no important phone messages. We hadn’t missed a thing!

Now, we didn’t mean to leave our phone, and we probably won’t do that again. 
But, I would gladly stay “unconnected” and unhurried again.

We enjoyed the freedom to explore and appreciate, to take pictures and meditate under a gorgeous sunset. To have some quiet time. To check out mentally.

Our task ended up being a mini-vacation.


The Bible speaks of quiet and stillness and what it does for the soul.
  • Be still, and know that I am God: I will be exalted among the heathen, I will be exalted in the earth (Psalm 46:10).
  • For thus saith the Lord GOD, the Holy One of Israel; In returning and rest shall ye be saved; in quietness and in confidence shall be your strength (Isaiah 30:15a).
  • And he (Jesus) said unto them, Come ye yourselves apart into a desert place, and rest a while: for there were many coming and going, and they had no leisure so much as to eat (Mark 6:31).
Rest is a biblical concept. I know my husband and I were glad to have those thirty-some hours to switch off.

What do you do to disconnect? How does it help? Please share!


(The photos, except the robin, were taken by me, some from the moving car!)

6 comments:

  1. What a beautiful post! This Sunday I left my cell phone at home all day too (on accident), and I did not miss out on much either. :-) Usually in the evenings after a certain time, I will set my phone on airplane mode (learned this from someone else) so that my alarm will still go off, but no text messages will come through. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Luba! I'm glad I'm not the only one who forgets a phone! God bless you!

      Delete
  2. I loved this post and getting to see a little bit of your life in Spain. I adore that really old house, that's amazing and I can just image how old those headstones must have been.
    I'm so glad you could "unplug" and get some quiet. We all need that sometimes, and it seems like it's hard to come by. Have a great weekend Lou Ann!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These pictures are from just over the border, in France. It is lovely, like all of France. Yes, it's hard for both of us to get free at the same time and to have no time pressure. We do try to once in a while take a 24-36 hour break. They work wonders!

      Delete
  3. I love it! Your post is like taking a little trip with you - so beautiful! Thanks for letting us tag along (:

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed our little tour of southern France! God bless you, Sandra.

      Delete

Please share your thoughts.