Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Friday, November 21, 2014

When God is Silent . . . Is He?

Photo by: Evgeny Dinev

We’ve all been there. We pray, and we feel like there’s no one listening. We feel like there’s a copper ceiling a few feet above us, and we’re not getting through. We feel like God might not care about this little person down here, praying.

I read a quote that was found on a cellar wall in Cologne, Germany, written during the Holocaust:

“I believe in the sun even when it is not shining.
I believe in love even when I cannot feel it.
I believe in God even when He is silent.”

Is God silent? Or do we only perceive so?

God hears a sinner who prays to God with a humble heart attitude.
  • Cornelius was a devout man who wanted to please God, yet he wasn’t saved. Cornelius, thy prayer is heard, and thine alms are had in remembrance in the sight of God (Acts 10:31).
  • When Saul was on the road to Damascus, Jesus appeared to him. Saul responded, Who art thou, Lord? And the Lord said, I am Jesus whom thou persecutest: it is hard for thee to kick against the pricks. And he trembling and astonished said, Lord, what wilt thou have me to do? And the Lord said unto him, Arise, and go into the city, and it shall be told thee what thou must do (Acts 9:5-6).
  • The publican (tax collector) had a humble spirit before God. And the publican, standing afar off, would not lift up so much as his eyes unto heaven, but smote upon his breast, saying, God be merciful to me a sinner. I tell you, this man went down to his house justified rather than the other: for every one that exalteth himself shall be abased; and he that humbleth himself shall be exalted Luke 18:13-14).
  • For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved (Romans 10:13).
  • The LORD is nigh (near) unto them that are of a broken heart; and saveth such as be of a contrite spirit (Psalm 34:18).

God hears our prayers, and He answers them. We might think He’s silent when the answer is no instead of yes, or if the answer is wait. But, God does answer each prayer—in His time and in His will.

Is God ever silent?

I don’t think so, and this is why: 
  1. We always have God’s Word (the Bible). It is a living Book. For the word of God is quick (living), and powerful, and sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart (Hebrews 4:12) It speaks to us. For this cause also thank we God without ceasing, because, when ye received the word of God which ye heard of us, ye received it not as the word of men, but as it is in truth, the word of God, which effectually worketh also in you that believe (1 Thessalonians 2:13). It’s eternal. Heaven and earth shall pass away, but my words shall not pass away (Matthew 24:35). For ever, O LORD, thy word is settled in heaven (Psalm 119:89).
  2. God desires a relationship with us. He wants us to share with Him (prayer) and He with us (Bible). But let him that glorieth glory in this, that he understandeth and knoweth me, that I am the LORD which exercise lovingkindness, judgment, and righteousness, in the earth: for in these things I delight, saith the LORD (Jeremiah 9:24). Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with me (Revelation 3:20).
  3. God loves us. When there’s perfect love—like God’s love—there’s no “silent treatment.” He that hath my commandments, and keepeth them, he it is that loveth me: and he that loveth me shall be loved of my Father, and I will love him, and will manifest myself to him (John 14:21).

We have the full revelation of God in His Holy Word, the Bible. What a blessing that at any time we can hear God’s voice!

Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, 
and a light unto my path.
(Psalm 119:105)
  

2 comments:

  1. Such a lovely post and full of truth. You have a beautiful way of putting things. Thanks for a really nice read!

    ReplyDelete

Please share your thoughts.