Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Monday, October 6, 2014

The Verse That Keeps Me Going

Photo by Phaitoon

I was in high school when I was first exposed to the idea. Some pastors and Christian leaders shared their “life verses,” and it occurred to me that I didn’t have one. I mean, I’d never thought about it, never chosen one Bible verse over another, and I really hadn’t ever looked for a theme for my life—or whatever a life verse was supposed to be.

I can’t remember how long it took for me to find it, but when I got to know this verse, I claimed it as my own.

Let me give you some background. When I was a teen, I had lots of friends and a fun church youth group. Inside, I was insecure and fearful. I’m sure my parents must have had reservations when I left for college.

Here’s my life verse. It’s still the one I fall back on when things aren’t easy or clear. When I’m called upon to do something that isn’t in my comfort zone, when I am physically sick or hurting, this is the verse I go to for the task at hand:

Faithful is he that calleth you,
who also will do it (1 Thessalonians 5:24).

This verse starts with God’s faithfulness. What a concept! No matter what happens, God is always faithful. It is of the LORD’S mercies that we are not consumed, because his compassions fail not. They are new every morning: great is thy faithfulness (Lamentations 3:22-23).

Then, it speaks of God’s call on one’s life. What is this call? It might speak of His call for salvation: No man can come to me, except the Father which hath sent me draw him: and I will raise him up at the last day (John 6:44). Or it might speak of a life calling, a purpose, or a job. No matter the Christian, he has been called to glorify God in everything he does: For ye are bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body, and in your spirit, which are God’s (1 Corinthians 6:20).

For me, my life calling came when I was seventeen. My answer—after two weeks of grappling with God—was the same as Isaiah’s prayer, Here am I; send me (Isaiah 6:8b). As you know, I am serving the Lord overseas in Spain. He sent.

Back to my life verse: Faithful is he that calleth you. I’ve proved that over and over! From my teen years to my grandma years, God is always faithful. He called me, sent me, and He is always faithful.

Who also will do it. The emphasis of this verse is on God. He is faithful, He calls, He does it. He doesn’t really need us—as if God could need anything. He chooses to empower us! Talk about grace . . . . I love this passage which speaks of God’s choosing and why: For ye see your calling, brethren, how that not many wise men after the flesh, not many mighty, not many noble, are called: But God hath chosen the foolish things of the world to confound the wise; and God hath chosen the weak things of the world to confound the things which are mighty; And base things of the world, and things which are despised, hath God chosen, yea, and things which are not, to bring to nought things that are: That no flesh should glory in his presence. But of him are ye in Christ Jesus, who of God is made unto us wisdom, and righteousness, and sanctification, and redemption: That, according as it is written, He that glorieth, let him glory in the Lord (1 Corinthians 1:26-31).

So, as one of those foolish things, I rejoice in God’s calling, in God’s enabling, and in God’s power in my life.

I glory in the Lord.

Faithful is He that called me, who also does it.
(My personal testimony paraphrase.)
  

2 comments:

  1. I don't think I heard about life verses maybe until college or shortly after. I never felt compelled to choose one - God had spoken to me so often through so many verses. But one that has come up frequently is Isaiah 41:10: "Fear thou not; for I am with thee: be not dismayed; for I am thy God: I will strengthen thee; yea, I will help thee; yea, I will uphold thee with the right hand of my righteousness."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for sharing that verse, Barbara. What a blessing it is! The Lord is our strength, and He takes care of our fears. Good stuff in the Word! God bless you!

      Delete

Please share your thoughts.