Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Sunday, April 27, 2014

Woot!

Photo by David Castillo Dominici

I am, admittedly, one of the most technologically non-savvy people in the world. Call me old or slow or mind-boggled, but I’m the last person in the world to “get” some things. (No, I’m not proud of it, and I’m presently taking a computer course. So, I don’t see my condition as hopeless.)

On social media, I keep seeing the word—if it’s a word—WOOT. It’s now become the name of a special feature of Amazon. I decided it was about time I knew what it means.

I Googled it, and guess what? Woot has all kinds of definitions. Woot can be an excited expression meaning hurrah, elation, enthusiasm, or triumph.

Get this: it also stands for the two words wow + loot = woot.

And, the most revealing meaning of all is the acrostic:
                       Want
                       One
                       Of
                       Those.

Wow, loot! Want one of those! Woot!

I finally gave in recently and registered on Pinterest. I keep seeing similar expressions to woot: “I need this in my closet.” “Gotta have one of these.” “Want.” “Need.” “Could definitely wear this.” You get the idea.

I’m not criticizing, for sure. This is the way we express ourselves today. I understand that none my fashionista friends really wants or needs all of the designer clothes she pins on her board. It’s only talk, and each girl isn’t really saying she wants, needs, or has to have all of those things in her closet. She isn’t losing sleep over the mug or the sofa or the Kitchenaid mixer in the new tangerine color. She just likes it. She loves the beautiful new kitchen, but she could never afford that kind of a do-over in her own home. I truly understand the rhetoric. I like (and pin) a lot of stuff I don’t need or necessarily want to stick in my own home. They’re ideas and inspiration. Things I might include in a painting someday.

Woot! Want one of those.

Material things. Wanting. Desiring. “Needing.”

Where’s our “wanter”? What do we really and truly “need”?

I know the Best Supplier! But my God shall supply all your need according to his riches in glory by Christ Jesus (Philippians 4:19).

Here’s what we’re supposed to want: If ye then be risen with Christ, seek those things which are above, where Christ sitteth on the right hand of God (Colossians 3:1).

We need to have the right priorities. And I will say to my soul, Soul, thou hast much goods laid up for many years; take thine ease, eat, drink, and be merry. But God said unto him, Thou fool, this night thy soul shall be required of thee: then whose shall those things be, which thou hast provided? So is he that layeth up treasure for himself, and is not rich toward God. And he said unto his disciples, Therefore I say unto you, Take no thought for your life, what ye shall eat; neither for the body, what ye shall put on. The life is more than meat, and the body is more than raiment. . . . But rather seek ye the kingdom of God; and all these things shall be added unto you. Fear not, little flock; for it is your Father’s good pleasure to give you the kingdom (Luke 12:19-23, 31-32).

Want nice clothes? Trust God.
Consider the lilies how they grow: they toil not, they spin not; and yet I say unto you, that Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these. If then God so clothe the grass, which is to day in the field, and to morrow is cast into the oven; how much more will he clothe you, O ye of little faith? (Luke 12:27-28)

Want delicious food? Trust God.
And seek not ye what ye shall eat, or what ye shall drink, neither be ye of doubtful mind. For all these things do the nations of the world seek after: and your Father knoweth that ye have need of these things (Luke 12:29-30).

Want to go to heaven? Receive Christ in your heart.
But as many as received him (Jesus), to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name (John 1:12).

Want God’s blessing? Obey God.
Behold, I set before you this day a blessing and a curse; A blessing, if ye obey the commandments of the LORD your God, which I command you this day (Deuteronomy 11:26-27).

Want that gorgeous house? Look forward to your mansion.
In my Father’s house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you (John 14:2).

Woot? Want one of those?

Woot!

My new word.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share your thoughts.