Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Tuesday, June 5, 2012

The Queen's Pledge


            This weekend, I’ve enjoyed British television coverage of Queen Elizabeth II’s Diamond Jubilee celebrations with all the pomp, ceremony, gold, and color that Great Britain does so well. I cannot help but be impressed by the Queen herself. She is 86 years old and looks fabulous, dresses so beautifully, smiles, stands, and waves for hours at a time . . . . She is wonderful! Even if a person is not pro-monarchy, one can’t deny that Queen Elizabeth does the country proud. Sixty years on the throne!

            When Princess Elizabeth turned twenty-one years old, she made a radio speech from Capetown, South Africa that would serve as an outline of purpose for her life. She said, But through the inventions of science I can do what was not possible for any of them. I can make my solemn act of dedication with a whole Empire listening. I should like to make that dedication now. It is very simple. I declare before you all that my whole life whether it be long or short shall be devoted to your service and the service of our great imperial family to which we all belong. But I shall not have strength to carry out this resolution alone unless you join in it with me, as I now invite you to do: I know that your support will be unfailingly given. God help me to make good my vow, and God bless all of you who are willing to share in it."
            Sixty-five years later, only the second monarch to reign for 60 years in the history of the United Kingdom, the Queen over sixteen countries, fetes her diamond jubilee. An incredible story!
            More incredible is her devotion to the cause she outlined in April of 1927 at only twenty-one years of age. No one could deny her contribution to the nation, her dedication to the Commonwealth, her unflagging service through sixty years as queen. She has been there for the United Kingdom always. She is universally loved and respected.
            When I heard Queen Elizabeth’s pledge to her nation (at that time the British Empire), I was reminded of the dedication that Christians should have for the Lord Jesus Christ.
            Would we publically resolve to give our whole lives in service to our Lord and Savior? Would we then follow through on that pledge for the rest of our days? Would we be known as a follower of the King of kings and Lord of lords? Would we be willing to unflaggingly represent our Savior in thanks for what He did for us? Are willing to untiringly serve Him?
            “I declare before you all that my whole life whether it be long or short shall be devoted to my Lord’s service . . . .”



1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing this, Mrs. Keiser! I love the way you draw these applications from everyday events. I hope you're having a blessed summer there in Spain. One day I'll come visit again...

    ReplyDelete

Please share your thoughts.